Resale value for 1991 Toyota Previa

General Previa Related Chat

Moderators: Simon, DOC

Resale value for 1991 Toyota Previa

Postby Brenton Netz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 am

Hi group!

This is one of the sections I rarely (if ever) get to. I picked up my first previa last week off CL for $700 bucks. (actually, BB fetched it for me, thanks!) I needed wheels back to Mn. so I drove it 4000 miles (Nor-Cal, then Mn.) averaging 25mpg the whole way (that's without any drastic driving technical.)

it's a white, auto trans, 244K, directional, alum. wheels, dual roofs, but the big glass one doesn't go back!, a couple of minor things, slider door handle, cig. lighter doesn't work, radio doesn't work, etc.

I've checked CL here, and surprisingly, they don' go for much. I'm not looking to make a killing, but they appear to be one of the best deals on CL! What a van!

but, I'm still an 80's 4wd nut, and don't have the room for a "space egg" in the drive.

feedback on value much appreciated. Yes, the previa is a great van!

Brenton
80's Toyotas: Further proof that life was better before we knew any better.
Brenton Netz
Van Guru!

My Vehicles: 87 4wd Van (22MPG) 86 4wd Tercel (37MPG w/weber) 89 XFi (55+MPG)

Postby timsrv » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:47 pm

A 91 dual sunroof Previa with that many miles will still fetch around $2,500 if it's in decent condition and everything works. If it's super nice it should bring in as much as $3,500. If it's been beat up a bit and / or has a few minor problems you should still be able to get at least $1,500. Without seeing it I'd guess yours falls somewhere around the $2k mark. Good luck. Tim

PS: Believe it or not, after my 92 was totaled in Oct of 06, I still had to pay $700 to buy it back. That means either Farmer's insurance is a bunch of F#*%ing liars or that's what they could have sold it to a wrecker for (salvage value). Okay, so I already knew that about Farmer's.
ImageI can't stop collecting vans Image OMG! Help Me!
timsrv
Van Aficionado

My Vehicles: (7) 4wd Toyota vans (9) 2wd Toyota vans.......still looking for more : )

Postby Brenton Netz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks for that Tim! Right now I have it on Minneapolis CL for $1250. It hasn't flown out of my life yet. It's "issues" are minor, but there: slider dor handle broken on outside (got one to sell me?) cig. lighter doesn't work, moonroof motor turns, but doesn't send the rof back, radio doesn't work. All these things are no biggies in my book, and probably could be rooted out in a day, if I was motivated to do it. Would rather send them along with the van. I'm sure it will eventually find a home. I'm only in it $700 bucks plus the cost of gas to get home (which really should count.

My feelings on the PRevia are, I like them. Nothing like the 80's vans, ride nice, more power, more comfort, more like a camery. But We don't need THAT much room, I already miss HF, and the cargo is bouncing in place for a new head gasket.

Thanks for the imput, much appreciated.

Brenton
Brenton Netz
Van Guru!

Postby timsrv » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

Sounds like a good deal. I know values change based on the local market, but I watch the market here and I see ones like you're describing move pretty quick for $1,500.......even ones with high mileage and minor problems. I would think the dual sunroofs would easily bring another $300 - $500. If nothing else, I would try to fix the big sunroof. Those are a big selling feature. Some people (myself included) will wait for one of those to come around while searching for a Previa. Not everybody is mechanically inclined though, so having one that works could really help move the van. Just my opinion. Tim

PS: Removing the plastic rails on each side of the roof can be a PITA. The UV rays makes them brittle, then the screws that hold them down get corroded. It's hard not to break the mounting areas off the plastic while taking the rails off. Once off, the problem should be obvious. This is a cable drive system and I'm guessing they either came disconnected or broke. Good luck. Tim
ImageI can't stop collecting vans Image OMG! Help Me!
timsrv
Van Aficionado

My Vehicles: (7) 4wd Toyota vans (9) 2wd Toyota vans.......still looking for more : )

Postby terbennett » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Timsrv sounds about right on the price. However, here in Southern California, the prices are all over the place. you'll see a 1991 Previa in good condition going for $3000 and then you'll find one for $1,800 in similar condition. In fact, when I bought my '92 Previa back in June, a guy was selling a 1991 with the dual moonroofs on recycler.com for $1,700. My wife and i went to see the van and were we impressed. It had 158K miles on it and everything worked except the rear moonroof and the A/C.It also had an indash DVD player. The van was really nice and this guy had six cars and just wanted to get rid of this one. My wife didn't like the pearl white paint- which was in excellent condition I might add. I took the van to a mechanic and he said that the only thing it needed was an A/C compressor and everything else was fine. I would have to say that $2,000 sounds good for your van also. Eventhough we're familiar with those minor repairs that need to be made, the average buyer may see something like the door handle as a big thing. If you fix that, ask more.
terbennett
Van Pro!

My Vehicles: 1991 Grey Previa LE, 1991 Maroon Previa LE, Two 1992 Blue Previa LEs

Postby terbennett » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:54 pm

If the cables need replacing, they are a dealer item. When I was looking, it was common to find a 1991 with a non-functioning rear moonroof. If you look at some of the older postings, you'll see wher I had asked about the rear moonroofs not working on one of my postings. I considered buying one and fixing it but the cables alone are over $700 just for the parts. It's a novelty item and I couldn't even find sunroof companies that made alternatives that would work with it. Still, the Previas with non-functioning moonroofs seem to sell just as fast here in So. Cal as the models with functioning ones and for around the same price. While it was important to me, most people don't use them anyway.
terbennett
Van Pro!

My Vehicles: 1991 Grey Previa LE, 1991 Maroon Previa LE, Two 1992 Blue Previa LEs

Postby Brenton Netz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:37 pm

I can't believe I've had that 91 Previa up on the Minneapolis CL for over a week (even dropped to $1000 bucks!) no one wants it. A few calls, tire kickers, "wanna take $500 bucks?" (Nope) I'm sure the mileage is scaring away folks that don't know a 250K previa is more reliable than an 80K GM/Ford/Dodge. oh well, I'll keep trying. I'm making a trip to Seattle soon, might drive it out and hope someone out there wants it. nuts group...just nuts!
Brenton Netz
Van Guru!

Return to Previa Discussion