rear end

Service and Technical info specific the Previa

Moderators: Simon, DOC

rear end

Postby redline ser » Wed May 18, 2011 11:32 am

I have a 94 previa non-supercharge 2wd with drums in the rear. My differential is giving out and making freaking loud noise like the gears grinding on each other I have check the fluid and it still has some. So I'm going to replace the whole rear end and I found one at the junkyard still look pretty good but the thing is it disc brake and I have drum. Will I be able to do a rear end conversion and what would I need. A guy told me it will just bolt up but I'm not sure.

Call some shop around and they want $500+ for the parts and that don't include labor.
redline ser

My Vehicles: 91 nissan sentra ser

Re: rear end

Postby redline ser » Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Bump
redline ser

Postby TheMAN » Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Look for a FRONT 3rd member off the 86-95 pickups/4runners. They will fit. They used various different ratios so you will need to check and make sure. Either look at the axle code on the driver's door jamb sticker or count the turns or count the tooth count on the gears itself. Most 4.30 axles are found in the automatics, so that's a good place to look. Since these are used for the front, they run in "reverse", so our normal coast side gets worn down more than the driven side. Which is fine as long as the gears are in pretty good shape.

You can always regear to a 4.56 or 4.10 using new aftermarket gears. I did this, was expensive but worth it. Gas mileage has improved a little. :)

Apparently, the old vans also used the 4.30 3rd members also, but you'll have a easier time looking for a mini-truck 3rd member than from a van ;)

As far as going from drums to disc, it's all doable. Just make sure you get all of the lines. If you give me some time this weekend, I can check the Toyota parts catalog to see what else you need to change. More than likely probably just e-brake cables and proportioning valve. No big deal!

I have disc brakes with ABS and it stops pretty good for such a heavy beast!
TheMAN
Van Man!

My Vehicles: 1993 Previa RWD

Postby TheMAN » Sat May 28, 2011 5:17 pm

looks like the only things you need are:
LSPV (drum and disc brake versions are different), all the brake lines attached to the axle assembly, and the two e-brake cables... everything else is the same and it should bolt up!

pretty easy swap!
TheMAN
Van Man!

Postby terbennett » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Before you do anything, I had my 3rd member replaced a year and a half ago. Not something you want to Mickey Mouse with. One year prior to that, my mechanic went with one in supposedly good condition from a junkyard and it went out a year later. Mine is the 4 wheel disc with ABS model but there might be differences in the drum brake models as well. Most junkyards and even the Toyota dealer told me that the 3rd member part was the same between 1991-94 N/A Previas. They are not. Consider this thread that I posted back in January of '09: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810
terbennett
Van Pro!

My Vehicles: 1991 Grey Previa LE, 1991 Maroon Previa LE, Two 1992 Blue Previa LEs

Postby redline ser » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:59 am

Kool thanks guys. I actually got one from the junk for 90buck and it was a easy swap. Took me 1:30 to take off the old one and instAll the new one.
redline ser

Postby TheMAN » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:07 pm

terbennett wrote:Before you do anything, I had my 3rd member replaced a year and a half ago. Not something you want to Mickey Mouse with. One year prior to that, my mechanic went with one in supposedly good condition from a junkyard and it went out a year later. Mine is the 4 wheel disc with ABS model but there might be differences in the drum brake models as well. Most junkyards and even the Toyota dealer told me that the 3rd member part was the same between 1991-94 N/A Previas. They are not. Consider this thread that I posted back in January of '09: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810

I disagree... the 3rd members are all the same between 90-94 non-S/C... they all are 4.30 ratios and ABS or not, there's no sensor in the 3rd member... my junk yard replacement that went bad came off a drum brake with no ABS previa, while mine is ABS with disc brakes... when it went bad, I picked up a complete axle from a 94 with disc brakes and ABS... no sensor in the 3rd member either.... I rebuilt the 94 3rd member with 4.10 gears and a LSD off a Japanese IS200 as aftermarket gears are available and cheap

I've spent hours in the toyota parts catalogs to know what's the same and what's not... I did this to determine whether I could fit an LSD or locker in there or not
hopefully you're confusing the term "3rd member" with axle... because they're NOT the same thing!
TheMAN
Van Man!

Postby djshimon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Off topic but... My friend in high school would drive three of us in his mom's nissan sentra se-r and those things can move! It was around '93 but the se-r must've been a year or two older. It was all stock but we raced a few cars off the line and that thing held up well. Those were good times and we didn't crash so that made it even better.
djshimon
Van Man!

My Vehicles: 1987 toyota van 4x4 5-speed LE, 1985 volvo 240 wagon, 1973 CB125

Postby terbennett » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:57 pm

TheMAN wrote:
terbennett wrote:Before you do anything, I had my 3rd member replaced a year and a half ago. Not something you want to Mickey Mouse with. One year prior to that, my mechanic went with one in supposedly good condition from a junkyard and it went out a year later. Mine is the 4 wheel disc with ABS model but there might be differences in the drum brake models as well. Most junkyards and even the Toyota dealer told me that the 3rd member part was the same between 1991-94 N/A Previas. They are not. Consider this thread that I posted back in January of '09: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810

I disagree... the 3rd members are all the same between 90-94 non-S/C... they all are 4.30 ratios and ABS or not, there's no sensor in the 3rd member... my junk yard replacement that went bad came off a drum brake with no ABS previa, while mine is ABS with disc brakes... when it went bad, I picked up a complete axle from a 94 with disc brakes and ABS... no sensor in the 3rd member either.... I rebuilt the 94 3rd member with 4.10 gears and a LSD off a Japanese IS200 as aftermarket gears are available and cheap

I've spent hours in the toyota parts catalogs to know what's the same and what's not... I did this to determine whether I could fit an LSD or locker in there or not
hopefully you're confusing the term "3rd member" with axle... because they're NOT the same thing!

There's no question that internally, they are the same. I was talking about the housings being different. I have witnessed it first hand and my mechanic let me see the difference. There are differences in the housings. I never said that the ABS sensor was "in" the third member, I said "on" the third member I do know what the third member is. It is in front of the rear axle. However, I wish that you had been here much earlier when I was getting my 3rd member replaced. An LSD would've been a sweet addition to my '92.
terbennett
Van Pro!

My Vehicles: 1991 Grey Previa LE, 1991 Maroon Previa LE, Two 1992 Blue Previa LEs

Postby TheMAN » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 am

terbennett wrote:
TheMAN wrote:

There's no question that internally, they are the same. I was talking about the housings being different. I have witnessed it first hand and my mechanic let me see the difference. There are differences in the housings. I never said that the ABS sensor was "in" the third member, I said "on" the third member I do know what the third member is. It is in front of the rear axle. However, I wish that you had been here much earlier when I was getting my 3rd member replaced. An LSD would've been a sweet addition to my '92.

the axle tube assembly is what's different, the 3rd members are all the same as i said
considering what you said:
Most junkyards and even the Toyota dealer told me that the 3rd member part was the same between 1991-94 N/A Previas. They are not.

I still don't think you know what a 3rd member is
everything you see in this pic is the 3rd member (non-previa):

you can physically even swap the taller final drive 3rd members off the S/C into a non-S/C, ABS or not
point is, nothing goes into the 3rd member housing, electronics or otherwise in the previas
TheMAN
Van Man!

Postby footheter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 am

im trying to replace the bar behind the axle, it goes from the driver side on the axle to the passenger side on the frame and its bent. i got the axle side off but the bolt on the other side is seized to the inner bushing sleeve and i cant get it out any suggestions? i sprayed some really good pen lube on there and smashed it with a hammer and it wont budge. gonna try a torch i think next but i would rather not toast the bushings if i dont have to.
footheter

My Vehicles: 1995 previa s/c awd

Postby TheMAN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:13 am

you're going to have to drill it out... rust "welded" everything on
get some expensive cobalt drill bits and a saw, then prepare to spend a couple of days cursing over this

DO NOT strike the bolt with a hammer, you will deform the mounting bracket that's part of the frame... if it's not going to come out, it's not going to come out... you will need to remove it the same way I did

I recommend upgrading the panhard arm to the supercharged version as it is much thicker and will support heavier loads/torque
supercharged panhard bar on left
TheMAN
Van Man!

Return to Previa Tech