No low beam headlights, all 4 work on high beam

Post General Technical Questions and Answers here.

Moderators: Simon, DOC

No low beam headlights, all 4 work on high beam

Postby jdale@wpcc.edu » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 am

My 1987 van has no low beam headlights but all 4 lights work on high beam.
I have been reading the posts here about this topic to try and learn how they work.....
I have swapped the round silver headlight relay with one that I know works and that did not help.
I have checked the wires going into the back of the fuse box and they look good.
I have checked the wires on the blue plugs under the steering column and they look good.
:roll:
HELP! What else should I look at? Could it possibly be the headlight switch (AKA the stem as I have seen it called here)?
Can anyone tell me which wires I can jump/ground out to determine if it is the stem switch

Thanks and I love my van and this forum.
jdale@wpcc.edu

My Vehicles: 86 LE 2WD

Re: No low beam headlights, all 4 work on high beam

Postby jmoa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 am

maybe the switch contacts?
or the low beam filament has burnt out on the beams?
jmoa
Super Van Guru!

My Vehicles: 1985 le auto with dual a/c and sunroofs; 85 le 5spds no a/c; 87 cargo 5spd

Postby jdale@wpcc.edu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:38 am

I did think it may be the sealed beams so bought new ones and they still did not work.
I do think it may be the switch contacts but not sure how to check them other than find a new switch assembly and plug it in and see what happens.
Thanks!
jdale@wpcc.edu

Postby Burntboot » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:57 am

Have you also checked fuses?
In the fuse box there are fuses for L and R headlamps but behind the passengers seat there is also a fuse block with a large single fusible link that controls the entire circuit.
When you check your fuses, use a test light, that way you know for sure the fuse is functional and that you have power there.
IF all the fuses are good, next check the connector on the bottom of the column (just follow the wiring from the switch down).
Separate the connectors and verify no black on the pins.
While you're in there you can check all the wiring with your test light and find out what has power and where.
Then you can work through the diagram and figure where the true fault lies.
I realize you already inspected the column wires but I have found that sometimes things can appear okay but still be broken, test lights confirm what the eyes can't see. Also try wiggling the wires, as your testing, for power, just in case you have a broken or damaged wire where it enters the plug.

Switch's are expensive and are pretty tough, most problems seem to revolve around wiring issues.

BB
Burntboot
Van Man!

My Vehicles: 1988 Van 5spd 4WD, 1986 Tercel SR5 6spd 4WD.

Postby jdale@wpcc.edu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks BB. I have checked fuses under dash...was not ware of the ones behind the seat. I will keep checking and hopefully find a solution. I appreciate the ideas!
jdale@wpcc.edu

Return to Van Tech Talk