Homemade fusible link??

Post General Technical Questions and Answers here.

Moderators: Simon, DOC

Homemade fusible link??

Postby San-Owagon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Is this a good or bad idea. I'm tired of waiting for the part to come in the mail.. Any of you attempted this? If so what guage wire did you use and what did you use to protect it? Thinking of just rigging one together until the one from toyota gets here unless thats maybe a bad idea. Any thoughts?
San-Owagon

My Vehicles: 86 cargo van

Re: Homemade fusible link??

Postby Omicronmike » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:12 am

I would be tempted too, but Toyota hasn't exactly published the specifications AND if your old link blew instead of just wasting away from corrosion, I would not want to risk frying the wiring if whatever caused it to blow in the first place is still there. Toyota has this stuff highly engineered and after replacing some of my wiring harness I have lots of respect for that. I would rather first attempt to replace the resistors for the fan speed control because if that failed, at least it would not take out the wiring harness.
Omicronmike
Van Pro!

My Vehicles: 1988 Toyota Le, 1988 Toyota cargo conversion 4WD stick, 2000 Honda Odyssey

Postby San-Owagon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Well... I just rigged one up today. Hooked up a new + wire to alt and junction box. Installed the homemade fusible link and it started right up. I used 14 guage copper wiring and 1/4" Terminal rings to make it then used some heat shrink wire protectant over the wiring and liquid rubber for where the wire meets the rings. So far so good.. This all costs about 3 dollars where as the link from toyota costs 22 wish S and H.. Plus you dont have to wait.
San-Owagon

Postby FLASH » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Ummm...all you did was bypass the fusible link with a solid wire. Kinda like wrapping a blown fuse with foil. The link is "fusible" for a reason; to protect the wiring beyond that point. If you are going to make one, at least use "fusible link" wire. It is available at auto parts stores.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
FLASH
Van Man!

My Vehicles: Not Specified

Postby San-Owagon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:01 pm

yeah, i did.
San-Owagon

Postby FLASH » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 pm

San-Owagon wrote:yeah, i did.

OK, then in response to your first question, "No, it's not a good idea." There's a reason that the van was manufactured with a fusible link there, just like there's a reason for all the fuses in the fuse box. Would you be willing to bypass all of them, as well? All I can say is, good luck, and I hope nothing fries while you're waiting for the correct part to come in. And when the part does come in, be sure to replace your straight wire with it. Driving any longer than necessary (at all, IMO) with your setup is really taking a chance on frying something major, possibly even a fire hazard. :yikes:

Again, if you're going top make your own, then why not use "fusible link wire"? Any auto parts store carries it; I got a 10' roll, 16AWG, for about $3.
FLASH
Van Man!

Postby San-Owagon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:36 am

yeah, i did. 14 guage "FUSIBLE" wire... Thats all the fusible link is aggro. I know its not the best way to go but when your riding a bike 20 miles to work you do what you can. Sorry bro. The toyota one came in today, put it on, no worries, no problems, good to go. The damn thing just shorted out because it was like 23 years old but changed the +alt wire after I checked all wires because I saw that it was looking rough. I am not a mechanic and I never claim to be, I'm learning. -(insert dumb surprised emoticon face here)
San-Owagon

Postby FLASH » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:23 pm

Sorry, my mistake. I was going by your description of how you made the substitute link, which states only "14 guage copper wiring", not 14 gauge "fusible link" wire. :? They're not the same, even if they look like it. If you did indeed use "fusible link" wire (it will state that on the package), then I withdraw my concerns. Otherwise, if you simply used 14 gauge copper wire, my original statement stands: It's not a good idea.
FLASH
Van Man!

Postby San-Owagon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:01 am

If you did indeed use "fusible link" wire[/quote]

Yeah, I did.
San-Owagon

Postby brianzero » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:17 pm

I made my own fusible link, and its the same gauge and length as the old one. I soldered mine in place without the clamps. I used some grease as a weather proofing and used that asbestos housing to finish it off. Mine was 80% rusted through and ready to die, it literally crumbled in my hands.
brianzero
Van Man!

My Vehicles: 1987 Cargo 4x4 w/ 5 Speed

Return to Van Tech Talk